- 1 soft bag – a large backpack or soft duffel bag for clothes and equipment to check-in. A soft bag is recommended as it is easily stored in your cabin.
- 1 backpack – small and preferably water resistant, to use in the rubber boats and during shore excursions.
- Jacket – water and wind proof for example Gore-Tex.
- Trousers – water and wind proof for example Gore-Tex.
- Hat – warm and wind proof.
- Gloves – water and wind proof.
- Rubber boots – Mandatory. Sturdy knee-high and preferably lined with warm wool soles to keep the warmth.
- Hiking boots if you prefer not to walk in rubber boots after landing, this is optional.
- Regular shoes with rubber soles to wear on board the ship to avoid slipping.
- Inner gloves – wool, synthetic or silk.
- Warm underwear – wool or synthetic fibre.
- Warm trousers – wool or fleece.
- Warm sweater – wool or fleece.
- Warm socks – wool or synthetic fibre.
IN ADDITION, WE RECOMMEND:
- Binoculars – for more info see page 10
- Camera & memory cards
- Cleaning cloth for camera lenses.
- Charger & extra batteries
- Plastic bags to protect your camera from getting wet during rubber boat cruises.
- Sunscreen with high sun protection factor for face and lips.
- Sunglasses, preferably with necklace, so you do not drop them in the water.
- Ski goggles, especially for trips in May as it is more common with snow fall. It offers good protection for the eyes during a Zodiac cruise.
- Motion sickness medicine – pills, wrist bands or patches for seasickness.
- Pen & Note book, postcards can be purchased on board the ship, in Longyearbyen and in Ny-Ålesund. Please note that there are no stamps available on board.
- Swimwear in case you get the opportunity to take a polar plunge.
- Water bottle
- Seating pad – foldable so that you can fit it in your backpack, or with a handle so that you can tie it to your backpack during excursions.
- Eye mask – due to the midnight sun
- Ear plugs
- Heat packs for your gloves or boots, if you know that your hands and feet easily get cold.
- Walking sticks – please note that they must be foldable and stored in the checked in luggage.